$2.1bn arms cash: EFCC quizzes Jonathan’s aide, Abati
By Soni Daniel Abuja
Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr. Reuben Abati, was yesterday questioned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over alleged cash taken from office of the embattled National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, retd. Abati, who arrived the EFCC on Formella Street, Wuse 2 in Abuja, was questioned by the operatives on the various sums of money he allegedly collected from the ONSA.
The former presidential spokesman was still
being quizzed as at the time of filing the report and it was not immediately clear when
. “We invited Abati to our office to clear the air on the records before us that he received at various times various sums of money from the ONSA and we want him to furnish us with the details of the payment and the purposes of such disbursements,” an operative told Vanguard last night. “One of the vouchers from the ONSA shows that he collected N50 million from the office but we want him to justify why he received money from the $2.1 billion meant for arms purchase to fight insurgents. “There are many vouchers attributed to the former Presidential spokesman but we will take them one after the other until we get satisfactory answers from him,” he said. “Abati came on his volition based on our invitation and our operatives are talking to him as we speak,” the source said around 8pm on Monday.’’ Abati last week wrote a piece suggesting that forces of darkness prevailing at the Presidential Villa were responsible for the lack of progress in the land, a write-up that had elicited prompt reaction from his successor, Femi Adesina, and other commentators. Abati had painted the picture that the apparent difficulty in the land was due to the spiritual forces which cast spell on the occupants of the Presidential Villa.